A fresh crisp take on tacos. By using romaine lettuce as the taco shell, helps to reduce the carbs and gluten you would get from a regular corn or wheat tortilla. I include jalapeno, and other vegetables to my taco. What unique add-ons will you use to top your taco?
- Serves: 8 (2 tacos each)
- Cooking time: 20 min
2 tbsp your favourite taco seasoning
1 lb Lean ground beef
1 c Bell pepper, diced
1/2 c Red onion, diced
1/4 c Pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 Roma tomato, diced
16 Romaine lettuce leaves
3/4 c Water
1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pan heat the oil, then add onion, bell pepper and ground beef over medium-high heat.
- Once beef is browned drain off fat
- Add taco seasoning and water to the pan, stir well and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes
- Place meat mixture in a bowl and serve
To serve: Spoon a few teaspoons onto one of the lettuce shells, add your favourite toppings and eat.
Original source and picture from: Melissa Pruit